waitress poems

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

BROKEN GLASS

In-the-out-door and
out-the-in-door.
How many times will she
get hit in the face with
the automatic door before she
learns-the-rules? Ever
see her? She's the one
with the broken nose
laughing at the wrong time
in the ampitheater.
At four years old, she
ran so fast across her mother's
kitchen that her hand
went through the window
with the impact. You
will know her on sight: her
scars are flowers in disguise.
Her occupation is building
cities out of broken glass. Her
courage is what keeps the doors
opening and closing against
the wind.

Comment: Broken Glass, which first appeared in Aphra was my first published poem. I can still remember how I felt when the package arrived containing my contributor's copies. I was so excited I had to wait a full five minutes before I opened it.

Oh yes, and after all these years, I'm still going out the in door.

13 Comments:

  • beautiful blog!

    By Blogger angel-A, at 7:08 PM  

  • her scars are flowers in disguise

    wonderful line!

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:38 PM  

  • thanks angel-a and erin.

    By Blogger Patry Francis, at 5:42 AM  

  • This is wonderful

    By Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson, at 10:18 AM  

  • Your poems are an amazing journey of emotions so glad you called by
    Is it alright if I add your link

    By Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson, at 10:25 AM  

  • This poem needs the proper framework. In that respect, you need to fix that missing space. Otherwise, perfect!

    By Blogger Vickie, at 6:37 PM  

  • Thanks for pointing that out, Vickie. I am the queen of typos.

    By Blogger Patry Francis, at 8:35 PM  

  • I just wish there were ways of editing these comments. The poem is wonderful.

    By Blogger Vickie, at 7:55 PM  

  • One of my favorites still!

    By Blogger rdl, at 7:58 PM  

  • "her scars are flowers in disguise"
    oh this is beautiful. congratulations on it getting published! i'm glad courage is still with you :)

    By Blogger Lorena, at 2:49 PM  

  • I don't have the words to express how this made me feel when I read it. I'm very happy that it was published.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM  

  • her scars are flowers in disguise.
    Her occupation is building
    cities out of broken glass. Her
    courage is what keeps the doors
    opening and closing against
    the wind.

    this is so brave! this is how i want to be!

    By Blogger gulnaz, at 3:24 AM  

  • This takes me to women who stand against the falls and against being abuse taking the hits of life so bravely...

    Im glad I got chance to read it...

    I hope this poem can inspire me

    By Blogger iamnasra, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who Links Here